IBM to Deliver Personalized Fan Experience Through the IBM Cloud at Atlanta's New Mercedes-Benz Stadium
ARMONK, N.Y. and ATLANTA, Aug. 15, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM ) today announced that it will help deliver a tailored fan experience through the IBM Cloud at Atlanta's new Mercedes-Benz Stadium, scheduled to open later this month.
When the doors of the Mercedes-Benz Stadium open to the public for the first time on August 26, more than 71,000 fans, players and staff attending the pre-season NFL exhibition game between the Atlanta Falcons and the Arizona Cardinals will experience the stadium's new fully integrated IT system, Internet of Things (IoT) technology and an immersive, hi-tech suite of interactive applications built by IBM Services, delivered and hosted on the IBM Cloud.
AMB Sports & Entertainment (AMBSE) is working with IBM iX to design and create a highly contextual, more personalized experience for fans through the delivery of a mobile app experience via the public cloud that acts as a 24/7 companion for each major constituent of Mercedes-Benz stadium: Atlanta Falcons fans, Atlanta United supporters, and Mercedes-Benz stadium event goers.
The IBM Fan Experience application will serve as fans' one-stop shop to access a broad range of services designed to help meet the needs of all fans whether they're attending the game in person at Mercedes-Benz Stadium or following from afar.
- Team content will be featured in the app, making it easy for fans to stay connected to their favorite club. The app will keep fans up to date on news about the team, with access to exclusive articles, inside information, videos, photo galleries, up-to-date player and team statistics, and more. During games and matches, fans can follow the action live from anywhere with play-by-play updates, integrated, near real-time highlights, and timely notifications on score updates, injuries, and other game and match related information.
- Parking is made easier for fans, with more than 12,000 spaces available for advance purchase through the app. Fans will receive point-to-point directions through an integration with Waze and will be able to enter the lot showing their mobile parking pass.
- Transportation to and from Mercedes-Benz Stadium, regardless of transportation method, can be made easier by using the mobile app. For fans taking public transit, MARTA maps, route guidance and real time train arrival information have been integrated into the app. Fans using Lyft can view drop off maps and be launched directly into the Lyft app to order a ride.
- Information pertinent to the stadium experience and game-day assistance will all be available through the mobile apps, in real-time via an intelligent concierge feature, giving fans a resource for any questions they may have.
- Wayfinding will help fans find any point of interest within the building, find a description about what is available there, view concession menus, order food, and even submit reviews of the location.
- Mobile Ticketing will make it easy for fans to view, transfer, or sell their tickets within the Falcons app.
Leveraging these services and the AMBSE data platform, the app will also be able to deliver contextual and personalized messages to fans to enhance their event day experience.
"Building the world's most advanced stadium would not be possible without harnessing the best technology available – working with IBM has allowed us to do that," said Jared Miller, Chief Digital Officer and Senior Vice President, Analytics and Technology, AMBSE. "Everything we're doing from a tech perspective is with an eye toward enhancing the 360-degree experience for our fans on game days. IBM's track record in that area is helping us accomplish that objective."
"Our goal was to truly redefine the game-day and event experience, and in the process, reset the bar for sports and entertainment venues everywhere," said Philip Guido, General Manager, IBM Global Technology Services. "Creating the ultimate fan experience today means meeting fans where they are, with a personalized platform for fast, seamless interaction. With Atlanta's new Mercedes-Benz Stadium, we achieved this goal."
IBM's services integration will enable the operations team to be connected to, and communicate with, numerous stadium amenities including the new 360 degree, 63,000 square foot HD Video Halo Board, 2,000+ video displays and concessions experience. This includes a more flexible network, space savings within the stadium, power and cooling savings that can help lower the carbon footprint while helping to increase operational efficiency.
The new technology will include highlights such as:
- Nearly 4,000 miles of fiber optics and 90 miles of audio cabling - enough to go from Atlanta, GA to Dublin, Ireland
- Nearly two thousand wireless access points to ensure WiFi connectivity – equivalent to 282,000 square feet of outdoor coverage, or the area of almost five football fields
- Deployment of the distribution network to theoretically download all 61 Game of Thrones episodes, in 4K ultra HD quality, in 46 seconds
Aided by the stadium infrastructure to power and deliver the experience on event days, and IBM Cloud infrastructure to support the mobile experience every day, fans will have key amenities to make getting from their home to the seat and back the experience they expect, and keep them engaged until their next visit.
IBM also gives IoT technology a major role in operations at the stadium focusing on features such as lighting throughout the building; the deployment of an IPTV system throughout the stadium enabling TV broadcast and messaging to fans; security camera system, as well as the audio that will be enabled by a converged network of connected speakers that can be operationally targeted to specific areas.
IBM's decades of experience transforming the guest experience for major global sport and entertainment partners will help create a unique, engaging environment for visitors of the new stadium.
About IBM Global Technology Services
IBM Global Technology Services offers end-to-end IT consulting and business services supported by an unparalleled global delivery network that is transforming its business to lead in an era of Cognitive and Cloud. As a cloud services integrator, GTS is managing the services and underlying infrastructure in an integrated and unified way. It is modernizing clients' IT environments to help them meet the increasingly complex customer demands. GTS provides clients with innovative technology solutions that help them to improve their business processes and in turn, profitability.
For more information about IBM Cloud or IBM Services, visit: www.ibm.com
IBM Media Relations